Friday, July 24, 2015

Dr. Jim Seim is listed on the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners and offers same or next business day appointments, we have parking for big rigs. 5 miles west of I-494 and Bass Lake Road or Highway 55
20010 75th Ave No. Corcoran MN 55340

CALL 763-416-4878 for an appointment

Check Your Mn Driver's License Status 

We Will Self Certify you to the State of Minnesota and save you a trip to the DMV

I found a driver today whose urinalysis tested positive for sugar in the urine, which is a serious finding and requires further evaluation. He must go to his own physician and request to be evaluated for glycosuria. 

In my opinion the most appropriate testing is a blood test called glycosylated hemoglobin or hemoglobin A-1 C. 

For those who do not have a physician and /or are uninsured I can arrange that test for you through LabCorp.  They have labs to draw blood in Edina and Bloomington.  The cost for the lab test and the follow up office visit to review the results is $70.00 and must be prepaid. 

The following is the Wikipedia definition of Glycosuria or glucosuria: “is the excretion of glucose into the urine. Ordinarily, urine contains no glucose because the kidneys are able to reclaim all of the filtered glucose back into the bloodstream. Glycosuria is nearly always caused by elevated blood glucose levels, most commonly due to untreated diabetes mellitus.”    

The following information has been taken from the Mayo Clinic Website:

A normal A1 C. level can range from 4.5 to 6% for someone who has no abnormality of blood sugar metabolism.  Levels above 8% indicate prolonged untreated diabetes.

A1C levels of 6.5% or higher in two separate tests will be the diagnosis of diabetes.  Pre-diabetes is diagnosed when the results are between 5.7 and 6.4% on two separate occasions.  This indicates you have a very high risk for developing diabetes.  If the blood test indicates diabetes you will need to be treated by a medical doctor before I can issue a health card.  If you are pre-diabetic, you will not need treatment.  However, your health card will be issued for one year at a time to monitor your health status closely.